--On Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:01 AM -0800 Ken A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Some people on this list have to pay per kb of bandwidth used.

You might want to read the list with a newsreader, through gmane. Then you just download the headers and pick and choose the bodies you want.

My practice is to use an IMAP mail server and do server-side filtering with procmail to separate per-list folders. My mail client (Mulberry) just fetches the headers and I only download the bodies I actually think might be interesting. (With IMAP, attachments are a separate download, so that also saves me time and bandwidth when reading mail with big attachments.)