Marc Perkel wrote:

Richard Frovarp wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:

Terry Soucy wrote:
In the testing we have done here, less than 1% of connections to our low
priority MX actually cycled around to one of the higher priority MX
systems to deliver the message. I'm still not sure if this is a growing pattern yet, but it could be a sign of spambots catching on. Whether or not they hit a *randon* MX record is kind of difficult to determin. As
already mentioned, I would *love* to see this information.

Terry, of my 8 MX records 4 are spam traps. The are the highest numbered MX. I have 3 real servers online right now on lower numbered MX records so no legit email should got to the 4 upper MX records. The hits over the last 9 hours are as follows:

65521, 74854, 26132 and 27076 hits

This indicates to me that the spam bots are hitting random MX records. Of those 1511 have connected 10 times or more to one of these 4 addresses.

The question is, how can you prove that those hits are bots? I've seen references that indicate different legitimate mailers don't always follow the correct order of MX records.

Interesting. What legitimate servers don't follow MX order?

I've heard Exchange and Notes/Domino in the past. I don't know if there is any truth to this or not.