On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Dave Pooser wrote:

> Except that I can verify addresses after checking blacklists, RDNS and other
> checks to make dictionary attacks harder on the spammers. It may be possible
> to put ACLs on VRFY in Exim, but I haven't looked into it.

I don't believe dictionary attacks are a problem, except for the extra
load they cause. The validity of normal email addresses is public
information, so a dictionary attack doesn't tell the spammer anything they
can't find out another way. If you want to create secret email addresses
then you'll have to incorporate enough randomness that a dictionary attack
will fail - relying on obscurity or 100% blacklist coverage isn't enough.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY, BACKING NORTHEASTERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR