Johnson, S wrote:
It's interesting you say that.... I don't give a response (most of the
time they're not there to receive it anyway and it clogs up my server
with undeliverable email - especially in BIG spam attacks). I have not
experienced this with my servers at all.  Last week, a friend of mine
that owns a very large spam filtering/relay company got hit hard with
this issue.

I think Jeff was talking about a 5xx response in the SMTP transaction, not generating a bounce message after the fact.

When you say your friend was hit with "this issue," do you mean the server was clogged with undeliverable bounces, or do you mean they saw spammers hanging onto open connections longer than reasonable in a sort of reverse-tarpit?

--
Kelson Vibber