On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Rob McEwen wrote:

Dan,

FWIW... that IP, 220.226.197.15, is currently listed on four spam blacklists ("RBLs"):

1) uceprotect
2) no-more-funn
3) psbl
4) ivmSIP.com (mine)

My problem is: blocklists come and go, and some blocklists, when they "go", do things like "hang up because they're being flooded, thus slowing my mail processes" or "flag all mail as spam" or "hand out stale data that hasn't changed at all in months/years".

If you put out a popular enough blocklist, you're likely to be blocked, period.

Personally, I'd like it if SA came with a blocklist-feeder tool, where upon, say, two auto-learns, a blocklist (or SQL database) could be fed.

The docs here: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists?highlight=%28dnsbl%29

Are outdated.

-Dan

The first two are "FP-risky" for outright blocking, but can be useful in a scoring environment. The latter two are much more safe for outright blocking... particularly ivmSIP.com, which a FP rate that is almost low as the FP rate of SpamHaus's lists.

Rob McEwen

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
Message at bottom.

I checked on this email. My system is right: it is an spf soft-fail. At this point, ninety nine percent of people who set up SPF are going to be setting ~all and not understanding the difference between ~all and -all. And this did constitute a fail (i.e. a forgery), but there's no rule that hit.

We've had the debate before, that SPF alone should not stop spam, but here it is: a legitimate domain hijack and SA isn't hitting?

Also, what's up with RDNS_NONE? My sendmail won't accept a connection unless your RDNS resolves, or you send in the domain literal format. I did a quick search and found a few bugs on this.

We've already been over DKIM_POLICY_SIGNSOME -- I'm still in favor of making a new rule for the implicit policy (DKIM_NOPOLICY or DKIM_POLICY_ASSUMED_SIGNSSONE) rather than the explicit one.

Can we also assume the following...

The Ironport-Anti-Spam score is bogus but we have no way of checking the result?

The Ironport-AV score is probably also bogus? Are "valid" values for i and a documented somewhere?

The X-Originating-IP of 127.0.0.1 is probably accurate (after all, the sending host must have had a 127.1), but useless and either the result of a bug (i.e. a misconfigured mailserver, from which we should not accept), or an intentional attempt to fool filters to believe it's "trusted" (for those systems that check this header) and should be ignored or a rule created?