Per Jessen wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>

>>> What kind of bandwidth does it usually pull from servers when it is
>>> part of the default distribution?
>>>
>>> I have 5 servers now at 3 locations and soon to add a 6th at a 4th
>>> location. Is this enough?
>>>
>> For that, I have no clue.. probably not a lot of bandwidth, but
>> probably quite a lot of queries. Perhaps one of the URIBL or SURBL
>> folks that hang out in this list could give you a better idea.
>>

> Over the last 24 hours, our public SURBL DNS had an average of 200
> queries per second, with peaks of 250 queries/sec.  Total volume was
> about 15million queries, roughly 6Gb traffic.

Interesting stats, thanks Per.

I suppose another useful metric for Marc would be to look at the number
of servers and locations hosting URIBL or SURBL.

URIBL appears to have 24 server locations, 11 in the US, 11 in europe, 1
in south america and 1 in asia. I don't know how many of those locations
contains more than one server, but it does give you a sense of scale.

http://www.uribl.com/mirrors.shtml

Surbl doesn't have a neat google map to give you an idea of locations,
but they have 53 servers, at least, that's my count..

http://www.surbl.org/nameservers-output.html

Comparatively speaking, 6 might be inadequate. I don't know how much of
that scale is really "necessary" for minimal operation, and how much is
just needed for scalability against DDoS attacks.