On Friday 08 February 2008, jdow wrote:
> [...]

Ya mean I get to keep all the pieces?  Oh goodie.

>You declared you run all mail handling as an unprivileged user. Then you try
>to run sa-learn as root on root's mailbox. There is rather a problem there
>if
>you think about it. Sit and ruminate a few minutes. Seriously - think.
>
>Have you considered what you are doing and where at least one
>hyper-obvious problem lies?
>
>If you're not banging your forehead and screaming "Doh!" by now here is the
>clue bat. If you've figured it out, "DUCK!"

Quack?

>SpamAssassin will be using a Bayes database collected as that unprivileged
>user. It cannot use one generated as root and placed in root's directory
>structure. The last I knew you were trying to use per user Bayes.

That I wouldn't bet on, but spamassassins kids are running as gene, called
into service by procmail also running as gene so I'd have to assume the
applicable bayes database its using is the one in /home/gene.

>So
>sa-learn as root will build the file in a place the unprivileged process
>cannot access AND will likely leave the file with privileges that prevent
>access by that unprivileged user.
>
>That's issue one for you to fix.
>
>And if you don't fix your errant ways mama's gonna whup you good.

Good, when you get done I'll buy.

>What size machine are you trying to work on? How deep into your swap
>file are you when you run sa-learn?

xp-2800, a gig of ram, 2 of swap.  Swap is very rarely touched.

>{^_^}   Joanne, ashamed I've known you all these years, Gene. You shame
>        me by not taking advice repeated virtually every time we
>        communicate.

It figures, Joanne would have to see how long she can balance on the soap
box. ;-)  At least here in Weston, our 'free speech stump', the stump of a 4+
foot diameter Grand Old Man that was here & probably 50 feet tall when the
war between the states was a current event, has a guard rail now, and since
they left it about 4 feet tall, has a set of steps so even an old fart like
me can make it up onto it should I feel the urge to make a speech.

However, I see what you are saying, both about perms, and locations.
Excellent points, I'll see what I can figure out toward making that database
belong to me instead of root.  Obviously I didn't carry that conversion to
user near far enough, so I deserve the knuckle rap.

How about I change that kmail filter rule to use:
runcon -l gene sa-learn --spam /path/to/spam
and:
runcon -l gene sa-learn --ham /path/to/ham

Now, I note that the /home/gene/.spamassassin/bayes* stuff is carrying a very
current time stamp,

# ls -l
total 53332
-rw------- 1 gene gene 20983808 2008-02-08 23:27 auto-whitelist
-rw-rw-rw- 1 gene gene        6 2008-01-03 02:37 auto-whitelist.mutex
-rw------- 1 gene gene    26616 2008-02-08 23:27 bayes_journal
-rw-rw-rw- 1 gene gene   147750 2008-01-03 02:37 bayes.mutex
-rw------- 1 gene gene 41889792 2008-02-08 23:27 bayes_seen
-rw------- 1 gene gene  5292032 2008-02-08 23:27 bayes_toks
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene      934 2005-12-14 16:58 init.pre
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene     1164 2006-01-16 13:45 user_prefs
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene     2397 2005-12-14 16:58 v310.pre

so apparently it is doing some self-learning?

Many thanks girl.  I will get it sorted.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)