Ok fair enough. I've noticed that having the \ doesn't hurt for a dash.
Now what about matching a question mark and an equals sign?

I'm tempted to setup Spamassassin under a virtual machine, just so I can
test against \= and \?

I've read perlre and perlretut and understand regular expressions, but
there is no clear cut way of matching these characters, either outlined
by this document or any Spamassassin document I've come across so far.

Except for a backslash, but I've heard no testimony would suggest this
line will work with Spamassassin, and like before, the SARE Regular
Expressions Expander tool doesn't like it (and may have put un-due doubt
in my head):

I tried using \x1B notation, and it doesn't work, so presumably, not
every feature of perl regular expressions work under Spamassassin.

Cheers,
Mike