Marc Ferguson wrote:
Hi,

I'm a linux noob and a spam assassin noob so please reply in simplified
language.  Thanks.

I saw on the wiki a trick to use fake mx records in order to weed out spam (
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OtherTricks).  I'm using Evolution at
home and on my laptop and I have the spamassassin plugin so I'm constantly
clicking the "junk" icon.  I have access to my shared web hosting account
and I sure do get TONS of spam.  I'm a bit confused as to how to implement
it though.  My web host uses WHM so my form looks something like this:

digitalalias.net  14400  IN  MX  0  digitalalias.net

What is 14400, I'm guessing a port of some kind.

nice try :)  it's an (optional) TTL.
   http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

14400 is 4 hours (4*3660) which is a bit low for an MX.... 86400 (24 hours) is probably better.

  Besides that the wiki
suggests that my first fake mx record should be set at 10, then my real mx
record at 20, and then another fake one at 30.

at this stage, I would recommend that you forget about MX tricks and focus on more "straightforward" measures. tune your SA first. only when you're happy and you've learnt enough about MXes should you try such road.
 Why is this since my current
mx record is set to 0?

only the order counts. (10, 20, 30) is the same as (100, 500, 900).

fake0.example.com 10
realmx.example.com 20
fake1.example.com 30

Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."

Peace to this world... (once wev'e exterminated spammers ;-p)
-Rev1:4