On Fri, 22 May 2009, mouss wrote:

John Hardin a écrit :
On Fri, 22 May 2009, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

I was mentioning cases where someone compares HELO to FQDN and rejects
connections if they do not match. That was indicated by the message (even
with different wording).

Ok, agreed. If they don't match don't reject, just give that a point.

Not as stated. let's say

192.0.2.1 has a PTR of life.example
life.example has an A of 192.0.2.1
easy.example has an A of 192.0.2.1

if an MTA running on 192.0.2.1 helos as easy.example, then it's as good
as any other name he could use. The fact that "life" is not "easy" is
totally irrelevant. (of course, hostnames were chosen to allow for a
word game, but this too is totally irrelevant :)

you can only add a point if you do more checks, such as helo is in AU
and sending IP is in UA, ... etc.

...sigh. Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, without going to the effort of saying all of it. I agree.

However, a FQDN in the HELO being unresolvable is a valid reason to
reject.

but as I understand the RFCs, it could resolve to anything. an example
would be an MTA behind a NAT box. (note that I am talking about the RFC
requirement, not about what anyone can do with the noise he gets...)

Right. Checking that what it resolves to is reasonable is a more complex question. Whether or not it resolves at all is a simple question that can be enforced at SMTP time by the MTA or a milter.

Per RFC2821 3.6 it MUST resolve.

BTW. 2821 and 2822 were updated some time ago. use 5321 and 5322 as
references now.

Thanks.

RFC5321 2.3.5 still requires the domain name in the HELO/EHLO, if used, to resolve, so that reject is still valid for internet mail.

  Public Education: the bureaucratic process of replacing
  an empty mind with a closed one.                          -- Thorax
 32 days since 9th Circuit incorporated 2nd Amdt - MSM still silent