Chris wrote:
> It appears as though I don't understand how this is supposed to work. I
> have a file in /etc/mail/spamassassin called my-whitelist.cf. In it I
> have entries such as:

<snip>
> whitelist_from_rcvd harley-requ...@the-hed.net the-hed.net

<snip>
> however, a message from the 2nd address doesn't hit the
> USER_IN_WHITELIST for some reason:

> shortcircuit=no autolearn=disabled version=3.2.5
>
> Complete headers of both posts are here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m1d1d5e07

<snip>
> So, what am I doing wrong here?

Two problems with that message:

First, there's an unparsable Received: header, which appears to be the
one created by your fetchmail. That's breaking SA's trust path, and
preventing any hosts from being trusted, making whitelist_from_rcvd
impossible. I'm not sure what's throwing it off, but the (single-drop)
bit looks a bit odd to me. You need to get SA to understand the
need it to trust all the servers at your isp/esp/whatever relationship
you have with embarqmail.com and synacor.com.

Second, the message from "harley-requ...@the-hed.net" is not relayed to
your site from a server using the-hed.net as it's reverse DNS. In fact,
the-hed.net is not used as the domain of *ANY* server in the received
headers of that message. The server they appear to be using is
kyoto.hostforweb.net, so "hostforweb.net" should be the second parameter
in your whitelist_from_rcvd, not the-hed.net.