Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 23:16 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Martin, generally speaking, the parent can only report the signal and
that the child has gone away. The child would have to report on why.
OK, rephrase that to "a pity the child doesn't say why its generating a
SIGCHLD signal".

Yeah - maybe there is some indication in the log? I think there is a switch that determines how many emails a child will process before needing restart. (just looked it up: --max-conn-per-child)
I just checked my logs, during the last 9 hours I have 6016 of these:

spamd[11362]: spamd: handled cleanup of child pid 14010 due to SIGCHLD

Is that the one you mean?

There are also arguments for controlling minimum/maximum number of spare child processes - if your load varies, and you have a significant difference between min and max, I could see that leading to more child processes stopping and starting.

/Per