> [...]
> your MacOS X software requires root access to run, then if your
> software gets ANY amount of visibility, you will get a call from
> Apple politely trying to educate you, and if you ignore this then
> they get nasty, and if you ignore that, then they publically speak
> against your software - and then all the Apple users will stop
> buying your shit, and you will be out of business.
>
> What, you think Microsoft has LESS pull than Apple in this area,
> and couldn't do the same thing?
>
> In the last 3-4 years there's been less than 5 root-exploitable
> holes in Apache - which is arguably the most popular UNIX program
> ever, and is installed on the most Unix systems in the world -
> yet Apache isn't even installed on all of them.  I can't remember
> when the last root-exploit came out for a program that is enabled
> on FreeBSD out of the box - it might have been the Telnet
> bug so many years ago.
>
> Yet, every week there's DOZENS of security patches that MS releases
> for XP and Vista and soon, Windows 7.
>
> So, please save your moralizing.  Microsoft is the richest software
> company in the world, they get PAID REAL MONEY by everyone that uses
> their crap - yet they can't produce a secure OS to save their lives.
> By contrast, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, OpenBSD - all UNPAID, and all
> ROUTINELY release os's that are not attackable by botnets.  And Apple
> used FreeBSD as it's base for Darwin - and they ALSO have no problems
> in this regard either.  Please, name 5 viruses that routinely attack
> MacOSX.
>
> Our clients retain outside expertise because THEY KNOW THEY ARE
> BONEHEADS when it comes to software.  And, your expecting boneheads
> to actually see through the ten thousand tons of marketing BULLCRAP
> that Microsoft's bowl movements dump on the business world every year,
> claiming their stuff is so great, so secure, so all-fired-wonderful?
>
> You say the world really needs to protect itself from botnets?
> Jesus, I think the world REALLY needs to protect itself from
> MICROSOFT.  They OBVIOUSLY have absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER
> of responsibility for the piece-o-shit, holey as swiss cheese,
> crapware that they stick up the collective ass of the world's
> businesses every year.
>
> I can almost excuse the botnet writers - they at least are
> amoral sociopaths and are doing EXACTLY as I would expect criminals
> to behave.  But, Microsoft couldn't be more two-faced if every
> one of their employees had eyes, ears, nose and a mouth on the
> back of their heads.  They EVEN HAD a secure security model -
> remember NT 3.51?  You know, the ONLY version of Windows where
> ring 0 was separated from usermode programs?  And they chucked
> that out with NT4 when they pushed the video system into ring
> 0 so that crap-ass games could run faster.  Who cares that
> it allowed malware to take over the system.
>
> Michael, get some perspective, please.  Your blaming the victim.

I have few sites running webalizer. Webalizer is a tool to generate daily and
monthly statistics about site accesses. None of these statistics show a Mac OS
client among the top 15 User Agents. This is why botnet writers only care to
write for the MS OSes: they are the most spread one. MacOS X invulnerability to
botnets is less than proven and, given that most desktop computer users don't
have any knowledge of what's going on behind their own monitor, I believe a
botnet could gain access to a Mac OS X system as easily as it can to a MS one.

So, to me the victims actually are the culprit because probably they did allow
a botnet to install into their systems. It doesn't matter if they are running
Appl€, M$ or even a Sinclair system... They are (probably) computer-ignorant
computer users who allowed a botnet to install an run and they probably
wouldn't even care to remove the botnet if their peer didn't check their mail
against some BLs.

This list is generally not interested in M$ vs Appl€ wars.

Giampaolo