From: "Charles Gregory" <cgreg...@hwcn.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 2010/January/06 09:20

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
: just wanted to inform you that ">" is the only official quote marker.

Deep sigh..... Do you know why I changed it?

Because I was getting several M$ Outhouse correspondents complaining that
my messages (using the 'standard' '>') were 'difficult to read'.
I could never get them to explain exactly how/why they were difficult to
read. It was like they were seeing something completely different with
bits of text missing. Not just word-wrapped..... They were very insistent
that I top post rather than use (to me) standard quote-reply method...

I haven't confirmed it yet, but after reading a few notes on the web, I
was testing the possibility that Outhouse was incorrectly attempting to
parse the '>' as an HTML marker and mangling my messages.....

But if this is really messing up people (or software) on this list, I'll
put it back to '>'...

Actually, Charles, this is a VERY good reason I'd use to justify changing
my quote character to something goofy like % or # or even ; just to annoy
the anal retentive types.

{^_-}