> A scam of this type needs to be pretty tightly targeted to work. The
> scammer would need at least a matched pair of addresses and a good
> probability that the supposed sender could be somewhere near the place
> where the alleged robbery was said to have happened.

If I've got access to your freemail account, I've got access to your address
book. The one of these I encountered at $DAYJOB was sent to the account
owner's wife's ex-husband-- not my first choice when asking for emergency
funds. The email also claimed he was traveling in London-- the guy AFAIK
hasn't left Texas, let alone the US, in the past few years-- and used a
number of phrases that a native speaker of American so-called-English
wouldn't.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com