On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Henrik K wrote:
SA 3.3 has special handling for truncated messages....

Excuse me for not *thinking* earlier, but it occurs to me that there is a very big drawback to *truncating* a message before passing it to SA, as opposed to my original request/suggestion to *flag* (or set a config param?) to tell SA to *ignore* parts of a message past a certain size.

I believe it is fairly common practice for MTA's to expect SA to return the *entire* message, complete with X-Spam header 'markup', from SA's standard output stream. This is particularly important where mail classified as *slightly* spammy is delivered to a special spam folder based upon the headers added by SA. Or on a system where all mail tagged as spam is quarantined. Having SA's markup/explanations is critical to analysing false positives/negatives.

So SA needs to read and write the *entire* message, but then be given a parameter to keep it from thrashing over the really large ones.....

- Charles