On 2010-06-11 16:42, Andy Dills wrote:
After recently upgrading to a new mail cluster with SA 3.3.1, we were contacted (at every imaginable POC address) with a solicitation to purchase access to utilize the Spamhaus blacklists, or they'll stop answering our queries.

We felt the amount of money being asked for was unreasonable, as we felt we likely wouldn't see an increase in spam if we turned them off.

So, local.cf got:

score URIBL_DBL_SPAM 0
score URIBL_DBL_ERROR 0
score RCVD_IN_ZEN 0

I think those are the only queries that generate lookups against Spamhaus, but I'm not positive.

Regardless, we noticed no increase in spam after disabling these tests. I imagine there's lots of overlap on the blacklists.

I think the maintainers of SA should strongly consider defaulting Spamhaus to "off". At the very least, it should be better documented how to entire disable Spamhaus queries.

They have the right to charge for their data, but I question whether it's appropriate for an open-source project to generate sales leads in this manner.

this horse is very dead...  Your traffic generated the sales lead, not SA.