On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:05:16 +0100
Matthias Leisi <matth...@leisi.net> wrote:

> Today, querying IPv4 DNSxLs is more or less limited to individual IPs.
> Making a new protocol that has more flexibility is very much needed -
> one size will not fit all, especially not in the protocol design.

OK.  But I think the draft is very complex and makes many DNS queries.
Why not something like:

Look up the first 64 bits:

   0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.a.b.c.d.e.f.whitelist.example.org

If you get back nothing, it's not whitelisted.  If you get back
127.0.0.1, it's whitelisted.  If you get back some magical value like
127.224.X.1, then you need to do a query against a /X (where X must be
multiple of 4 and 64 < X <= 128).  So if you wanted to list to the
granularity of a /128, the query above would return 127.224.128.1 and
you'd redo the query with the full 32-nibble address.

This is less flexible, but results in only one query in the common case
or two in the worst-case.  (Naturally, you could use TXT records instead of
magic A records; this is just for illustration.)

List managers would have to be *very* careful not to list networks to
a fine granularity unless they know for sure the manager of the
network block takes precautions against IP address spoofing (using
ingress/egress filtering or similar.)

Regards,

David.