On 1/4/2011 9:31 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Right, but once your cache is blown, you're back to always querying
> the authoritative server.  John Levine proposes a fix with a clever way
> to represent many entries with a small number of queries so you don't blow
> your cache.  I think making zone files available for download so you
> can run your own authoritative servers is another good approach, especially
> for whitelists.

What I'm about to say could have been a reply to ANY of the past few
posts... if the volume of unique IPv6 sending IPs causes either (a) DNS
caches to get blown, or (b) requires John Levine's solution to prevent
that... then...

"game over".. the spammers have already won. And they are quite amused
right now reading us discuss all different ways to rearrange the deck
chairs on the Titanic.

For example, if this happens, then...

(1) effective DNSBLs will likewise bloat to such a large size that the
resource requirements for running them (and transferring their data)
will be insane

(2) David mentioned "zone file transfers"... but that zone file would
likewise be massively large.... and any client trying to load it would
also have to consume large resources trying to load it. (this would also
cause problems trying to sync DNS mirrors!). Consider also those IPs
which ought to be blacklisted quickly, but don't because of having to
wait on the previous mirror update?

(3) What do we do about spammers who send spams to 100K or even a
million addresses, using a unique IP for each recipient... and then
"list wash" off the addresses which match up with those IPs that get
blacklisted? Sure, you could blacklist whole blocks of that spammer's
IPs.. but then you have to be able to do that without causing collateral
damage in other situations where spammers and legit sender share IPs.
Without going into details, tactics exist to somewhat deal with this...
but massive numbers of e-mail addresses would get listwashed at the
beginning stages of each campaign. IOW, no matter what, large-scale and
EASY listwashing would be the norm with IPv6.

(4) No matter how good you deal with the previous idea, you're STILL
stuck with massive numbers of never-to-be-seen-again IPs bloating IPv6
blacklists! (again, the spammers are laughing at us!)

(5) If anyone thought that my proposed solution a few posts back was
unrealistic... consider that the extremely inadequate "partial fix"
solutions that others are proposing involve even MORE intrusive changes
to the standards/behaviors of our various systems (filters, blacklists,
dns servers, dns protocol, mail servers, etc)

As I said earlier, ALL of these problems have the "root cause" of too
large a potential pool of sending IPs.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/