On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 19:22 +0200, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 12:51 +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > I've just been thinking about URIBL lookups, etc and realising that I
> > don't know how many of these an SA configuration does or how to estimate
> > it.
> >
> > Is it correct to assume that every configured URIBL is sent a single
> > lookup request for every message that SA scans?
>
> No. This message has no URIs, thus no lookup.
>
> Furthermore, since the BL lookups are DNS, each URI needs a lookup of
> its own. The only thing safe to assume is, that with multiple aggregated
> lists (or listings) per URI DNSBL, there is one DNS lookup per URI and
> DNSBL -- e.g. SURBL (multiple lists) or URIBL (multiple listings).

OK, so the answer is not straight forward: thanks for confirming it.

OTOH, a fairly regular occurrence on this list is thread from people who
get problems from hitting usage limits set by various BL lookups. So, I
wonder if it would be useful for SA to log the number of BL lookups it
does: as it need only involve of writing a log message every hour or day
giving the accumulated count for the period, its performance hit should
be tiny and, of course, it should have an enable/disable configuration
parameter. Output would be a single log message containing a total for
all BL lookups or (deluxe version) a total for each configured BL.

It goes without saying that, if this is incompatible with the SA
internal structure, then forget about it.

Martin