On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 21:55 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 03:12:34 +0200, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>
> > > That's true, though caching is much less effective than you may
> > > suppose.  In real-life measurements on real mail servers, I found a
> > > very low cache hit rate for common DNS{B,W}Ls, on the order of only
> > > 25-50% hits.
>
> > As in cache hits? That's quite substantial.
>
> I didn't think so.  It means that between 50-75% of DNS lookups must
> go all the way to the authoritative name server.

With more than 90% spam of the mail volume (according to almost any
published stats), even 25% cache hits mean, that caching does not only
work for ham, but spam, too.

Anyway, it means that the volume of messages before hitting the free
usage limit is 25-50% higher than the commonly perceived and frequently
incorrectly claimed limit (where one message does equal one query for IP
based lists). These numbers tell differently -- up to half the query
limit in addition in terms of mail.

> > Also, is this overall, somehow a mix of both black and white-lists, as
> > well as different types (IP vs URI)?
>
> My measurements were against IP blacklists.
>
> > Given the very different TTL for different types of lists, I suspect
> > actual cache hit rates vary a lot.
>
> Not without pretty high TTLs, in our experience.  And DNSBL operators

I was talking about different *types*. As in IP vs URI. Where TTLs do
vary a lot -- 3 minutes for SURBL, 12 hours for DNSWL.