I wanted to try to head off an  increasing spam count I'd gotten
since I upgraded my suse server to 11.4 ...

So I tried cpan to goto 3.3.2, but now...it says ..
no rules!...I've tried putting rules in just about every dir I can think
of...

I had it running as as a daemon before - I thought it ran as spamd, but
I could be wrong -- just that there have been user and group spamd
on my since I first installed SA a few years ag0, but I'd installed some
suse versions since then and they still worked, and I don't know
how they ran.  The latest incarnation didn't work as well, so went
back to try the cpan version...*ouch*...

where is it looking for it's rules, in /dev/null?!?

I tried running it as root, as spamd, giving it a home dir,
in /usr/share/SA, /var/lib/SA, /etc/mail/SA, (not to mention

"spamassassin --lint" comes back 'silently'...no errors...

so if there are no errors, why does it claim it can't find any rules?

Ya'd think SA --lint would notice that as being a problem...?

:-(....

ideas?