On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

On 1/30/2014 1:25 PM, John Hardin wrote:

 I'd suggest writing it as a subrule first, to see how well it performs
 against the masscheck corpora. If it does well by itself (good hits, high
 S/O), then a meta can be added to expose it for scoring. If it hits a lot
 but the S/O ratio is low, then it could be analyzed for possible
 combinations with other rules to get something that performs well.

I think that's overkill and I've already added it to masscheck to see how it does with a ceiling of 2 on the scoring so we can get some feedback and adjust.

Otherwise, my POV is that masscheck is designed just for that purpose and check if the rule has merits to move to publish.

I could be persuaded for a lower-score ceiling or a nopublish flag if you insist though.

Eh, no, that's fine. I'm more interested in not ignoring rules that will potentially be very useful in combination if they don't perform well on their own. If it doesn't perform well enough to publish, or gets a low score, then we can look at overlaps to see if a combination meta would help.

  For those who are being swayed by Microsoft's whining about the
  GPL, consider how aggressively viral their Shared Source license is:
  If you've *ever* seen *any* MS code covered by the Shared Source
  license, you're infected for life. MS can sue you for Intellectual
  Property misappropriation whenever they like, so you'd better not
  come up with any Innovative Ideas that they want to Embrace...
 2 days until the 11st anniversary of the loss of STS-107 Columbia