On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:46:25 -0800
Kevin Miller <kevin_mil...@ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:

Ian> Excellent point.  I _used to_ run a local DNS cache, but got rid of
Ian> it a few months ago, in the name of simplicity.  Was that a good or
Ian> bad thing to do in the current context?

Kevin> That's a bad thing to do.  A caching name server is pretty easy
Kevin> to implement (all the distros that I've played with do it
Kevin> automatically just installing bind).  Many (most?/all?) RBLs
Kevin> require a subscription (read money) if you exceed a certain
Kevin> number of queries.  A public dns server can hammer them quite
Kevin> quickly, and thus get filtered out.  A local caching server is
Kevin> definitely recommended.  I've never read any posts suggesting
Kevin> reasons not to use one...

Ok, I installed a local bind instance on Saturday.  But it is not
helping: out of about 100 spams I got today (counting both those that
got flagged and those that didn't, but not counting the "horrible" spams
with score > 15 that go directly to /dev/null), _none_ scored on
URIBL_RHS_DOB.  And I know for a fact that most of them contain fresh
domains :-(  Btw, all those domains are registered with enom.  Wth?