If SEM was able to detect newly registered domains more quickly then that would
solve the problem.
From: John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 2:24 PM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Domain ages (was Re: SPAM from a registrar)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 11:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
> John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org> wrote:
>
>>> So there is merit in building a distributed look-up system using SA.
>
>> Distributed lookup of *what*, though? Can you clarify that part of
>> your idea? Are you referring to distributed whois queries for a
>> domain name, to determine its age?
>
> The clever part is that once lots of sites begin using this in their
> SA setups, we'll very quickly build up quite an accurate database of
> newly-seen domains that's completely independent of any registrar for
> a data source.

Ah, ok, that's where I was confused. The proposal is for a distributed
network gathering newly-SEEN domain names, rather than newly-REGISTERED
domain names.

Thanks for the clarification. I was focusing on the latter.

   You can't reason a person out of a position if he didn't use
   reason to get there in the first place.   -- Kristopher, at Marko's
  739 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)