I use to spend a lot of time blocking hosts and subnets, using IP tables, of
malicious providers who would let any tom, dick, and Harry (no pun intended) to
host spam hosts/relays on their servers. What I ended up doing is also blocking
a lot SMB vendors from sending legitimate emails to users because most SMBs
outsource their services without really comprehending the consequences of the
provider they choose, this is especially true for low tech industries such as
toll and process manufacturing companies, and frankly led to a management
nightmare.

There are A LOT more people out there, far greater than just the Googles and
Yahoos of the world, and to block IP addresses/subnets without an automated
system using definable metric (that usually is enterprise specific), invariably
IT will be inundated with complaints about users not receiving legitimate
vendor emails.

It is much more effective to use existing RBLs, and supplementing it with your
own honeypot RBL that uses metrics developed in house that can react to what
your organization will consider the critical mass of spam it can take. That,
along with the proper training of SA, is perhaps the best defense you can have.
Using metric like last seen, total count, and frequency seem to provide the
best metrics for me, my private RBL (based on honeypot addresses) can react
faster than the big guys, on both ends of the equation (to block and to
release), It's not that Google doesn't sometimes land on my RBL, it's that it
also drops off fast as they remedy the issue, and the time outs are reached and
they drop off my list.