Am 07.04.2016 um 22:55 schrieb Ian Zimmerman:
My high-level goal here is to get rid of as many configuration changes
as I can in the system-managed area (/etc in my case) and achieve the
same effects by other means.  This is because I'm learning that I cannot
trust my distro not to screw me over anymore

where does your distro screw you?
what did you touch you dhould not have touched?

sorry, but if you do you config changes at the right place your distro don't screw anything, that said from a fedora user with 2 dist-upgrades every year over 8 years on 20-30 production servers