Hi,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Chip M. <sa_c...@iowahoneypot.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:13:57 +0000 David Jones wrote:
>>If I search the Internet for the CEO/CIO/CTO/etc of a company
>>and send and email from my domain but make the displayed name
>>in the visible From: be that CEO/CIO/CTO/etc's full name that
>>the recipient is used to seeing in the mail client, then I have
>>spoofed nothing detectable in advance by SA or any mail filter
>>technology.
>
> Excellent summary!
> The key is that the number of spoofed people is extremely SMALL,
> and we _CAN_ anticipate who they are.
>
> It's easy to write a CUSTOM set of rules just for actual/likely
> targeted senders (CEO/etc).
> For each person/target, create a rule that tests an explicit
> list of that person's normal Realname(s) (including reasonable
> variations), against the Realname part of the From header, and
> if there's a match, test whether the From Address is in a list
> of allowed addresses.  Score only if it's a probable phish
> Realname from an unknown/unallowed address.

I've also been battling this for a long time. Those unknown/unallowed
addresses are basically the list of permissible domains, I would
think, correct?

How about the case where the From: is spoofed (both real name and
email) to be a CXO and SPF passes for another domain? Do you rely on
DKIM/DMARC, or do you have rules that block those? I would then think
you'd also need rules that exclude the cases where SPF passes for your
own domain.

> I have not yet noticed any fuzzing "in the wild", however all of
> my targets have extremely "anglo" names.  I recommend looking at
> tools that create fuzzy variations.

Does such a tool exist for domains? Perhaps you have some example tools?

Thanks,
Alex