For what it's worth I use PowerDNS for a recursive nameserver and happy with it. Very easy to set up.

On 08/22/16 18:15, Alex wrote:
Hi all,
I've just set up spamassassin on a cable connection that appears to
have sporadic DNS timeouts using bind. It shouldn't be so slow that
queries timeout, but apparently they are. I'm hoping rbldnsd would
provide that additional responsiveness needed.

I've set up rbldnsd before, to be used as a way to query a local RBL.
Has anyone configured it as a local caching nameserver, and if so,
could you share your config?

I'd like it to listen on localhost/53 in place of bind and I would
think I would need the root zones in there somewhere, but there
doesn't appear to be many examples of doing this out there to
reference.

Is it a full-fledged nameserver, suitable enough for MX, A, TXT,
queries, etc for this purpose?

Thanks,
Alex

--