What MTA are you using?  Postfix is very flexible and Postscreen is
powerful.  It can be setup with dozens of RBLs with weights so even
not-so-good RBLs can be used to safely.  If you turn up the RBL
sensitivity with a lot of them in postscreen, it will require using
postwhite to prevent blocking legit mail from major hosting
providers.  In this case SA will have to handle those messages
based on content.

Greylisting is the best help to add a delay to give time for RBLs to
list new IPs.  Greylisting can be setup selectively so it doesn't
slow down email from trusted senders which is the most common
objection to using greylisting.  I thought it would be impossible
to implement it without my users complaining but I was able to
do it with a little care over a few weeks.

Dave