On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 09:59 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-07-15 11:59, Antony Stone wrote:
>
> > Maybe other people have further optimisations.
>
> With awk already part of the pipeline, all those seds are screaming
> for
> a vacation.

Indeed. I think the whole job can be done fairly easily with a single
awk script. I didn't look at the input (have parts of it appeared on
this list?), which makes it hard to work out what the entire pipeline
does. However, the more I look at it the more it looks as if awk's
default action of chopping each line into words would, when combined
with awk functions that use regexes to modify words - gsub() and
friends - should simplify the whole exercise.

To the OP: if you want to raise your game with using sed and awk, about
the best thing yo can do is to get the O'Reilly "sed & awk" book by
Dale Dougherty - its a real eye-opener and much easier to read and
understand than the manpages, if only because its better organised and
includes a lot of example code.

Martin