Thank you for the information. I am hopeful that one of the outcomes the log4j
situation is that ASF project funding would be increased but I suspect that
thinking is naive. Companies have little incentive to invest in something that
“works well enough”. I too work for a company that has substantial subversion
usage but will not support any development on it.
We are a bit of a unique situation because we have a monorepo with 30-40
different subprojects and the different subprojects have files with the same
name (go.mod, cargo.toml, some .hcl files and some others) that have very
similar or identical content. Originally we had that repo in git but the
combination of so many identically named files with similar/identical content
really messed with things like “git log —follow” and generally the file level
tracking of git since of course git just cares about the tree/blobs and not the
files. We ran tests and subversion 1.14 handled those scenarios substantially
better than git since subversion does track files. We investigated fossil but
it seems to be mostly driven by one person and doesn’t have even the subversion
level of community support.
I hope that subversion continues to be around and thrive for a long time
because even though git “won” the vcs war, I think that subversion does still
have some advantages in a centralized corporate environment.