On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 3:49 PM Mun Johl <mun.j...@wdc.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We’re using SVN version 1.8.19 on Linux.  I was wondering if I execute an
> “svn merge –reintegrate” to reintegrate a branch back to trunk, will SVN
> merge the logs from the various check-ins done on the branch back into the
> trunk as well?  Empirical data shows that it does not; but I’m not sure if we
> didn’t do something correctly during the reintegration or if that is how SVN
> works.  Although, I realize I can still access the branch’s logs for check-in
> information.

Merge is really a local edit to your working copy ... you still have
to commit it and that commit is just a new commit like any other. When
you do a merge it edits the svn:mergeinfo property which is how SVN
knows what was merged. As long as you include those property changes
in your commit then SVN "knows" it is a merge.

When using the svn log command you can add the "-g" option to have it
look at the mergeinfo and show the logs of the commits that were
merged. For example, here is a snippet of a recent merge in the SVN
repository. You will see the log for the merge commit and then it
starts showing the logs of the commits that were merged. In this case
there were actually a lot of revisions so I am just showing the first
couple. GUI tools like TortoiseSVN can also show this information.

$ svn log -c r1764285

r1764285 | stsp | 2016-10-11 12:12:55 -0400 (Tue, 11 Oct 2016) | 2 lines

Merge the resolve-incoming-add branch to trunk.

r1764284 | stsp | 2016-10-11 12:08:25 -0400 (Tue, 11 Oct 2016) | 9 lines
Merged via: r1764285

On the 'resolve-incoming-add' branch: Remove unnecessary code.

* subversion/libsvn_client/conflicts.c
  (diff_dir_changed, diff_dir_deleted, diff_file_changed,
   diff_file_deleted): Remove. Since we're diffing an empty tree against
    an added tree, these should never be invoked.
  (merge_newly_added_dir): Only set the diff processor callbacks we need.
   The diff processor already provides stubs for the rest.

r1764279 | stsp | 2016-10-11 12:01:59 -0400 (Tue, 11 Oct 2016) | 7 lines
Merged via: r1764285

On the 'resolve-incoming-add' branch: Make a FAILing test PASS again.

* subversion/tests/libsvn_client/conflicts-test.c
  (test_merge_incoming_added_dir_merge2): Account for the nested
   'add vs add' tree conflict on the new file, and for the change
   in property conflict behaviour (to be investigated later).

Mark