On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Cameron Hagen <cha...@appareo.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'd like to check out a number of SVN folders, but with each one I run
> into an error where after checking out a few documents, it stalls, and then
> gives me this error:
>
> *Checkout Failed!*
>
> *Error: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly closed
> by the remote host*
>
> When I delete the folder and give it another try, sometimes it will get
> through more documents, sometimes it gets through less, but it never
> actually finishes. I have tried using different internet connections, but
> get consistent errors.
>
> Very new to Subversion Edge and would really appreciate any feedback.
> Thanks,
> Cam
>
> NOTICE: This message {including attachments} is covered by the Electronic
> Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, is CONFIDENTIAL
> and may also be protected by ATTORNEY-CLIENT OR OTHER PRIVILEGE. If you
> believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention,
> dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
> prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message
> in error and then delete it.

Hello,

We've had various reports with this error message over the years. The cause
is usually a server side or network issue, but there doesn't seem to be a
common theme of one particular cause. Causes have ranged from anything from
antivirus software to network configurations to firewalls to old versions
of SVN on the server. If you search for the exact text of the error message
in our mailing list archives (see [1], you'll find  discussions and
(hopefully) what fixed it for different people. There's also the
StackOverflow question at [2].

You mentioned that you are using Subversion Edge. Do you know whether the
version of  Subversion Edge on the repository server is the latest
available?

>From your screenshot it appears you are using TortoiseSVN on the client
(your computer). What version of TortoiseSVN are you using?

Also do you know whether you're going through a proxy?

Is the repository server on the same LAN as your client computer, or across
a VPN, or...?

When you say it stalls, is there a noticeable delay? Approximately how long
(seconds? minutes?)

Cheers,
Nathan

[1] SVN mailing list archives: