On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Byles Bernard <bby...@mail.dstl.gov.uk> wrote:

> Classification: UK OFFICIAL
>

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. I'll just add some further details.
>
> The customer has a Windows 2008 R2 server. On this server they have
> TortoiseSVN client installed with a specific drive dedicated for their
> repository which I believe can only be accessed from the server itself rather
> than over the network (I'm not 100% sure as unfortunately no one really knows
> much about this app).

Is the drive dedicated to a working copy or a repository?

A working copy can be identified by the existence of the hidden .svn
directory and a set of working files and directories from the
repository (the actual data stored in the repository for a user to
work with).

Similarly, a repository can be identified by the existence of the
following files and directories in its directory:
[[[
conf/
db/
format
hooks/
locks/
]]]

I'm asking these questions because TortoiseSVN and some other client
distributions have the Subversion binaries packaged with them (usually
in C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin for TortoiseSVN). The binaries
include the `svnserve.exe`[1] program that can be used to expose the
Subversion repositories over the network using the svn:// or
svn+ssh:// protocols. The binaries such as `svnserve.exe`, and
`svn.exe` are not used by default, but if you have the `svnserve.exe`
running, then additional steps may be required to migrate this custom
solution.

So it's possible that a previous admin used `svnserve.exe` packaged
with TortoiseSVN to implement server capabilities or some other custom
solution. E.g., you may open Task Manager to find out if any
`svnserve` processes are running. If you see any such processes,
additional steps are required to migrate the installation because you
don't only have TortoiseSVN (a client), but also a small server
installation with its own conf files and repositories, perhaps running
as a Windows Service.

If you don't have `svnserve` running and don't have any repositories
on the server (i.e., it has only working copies), then installing
TortoiseSVN 1.14.x on the new computer and checking out new working
copies[2][3] should be enough. You may find the URL used to check out
the working copy with the `svn info <PATH-TO-WORKING-COPY-ROOT>`
command[4] or opening TortoiseSVN Repo Browser[5] at the root of the
working copy.

> If possible, we need to migrate this application to a brand new Windows 2019
> Server which you have confirmed won't support their existing version of
> TortoiseSVN therefore a brand new client install is required.
>
> Therefore in terms of migration i.e. the data repository. How can this be
> moved from one server to another ? Assume you treat it like a file migration
> or is there specific steps for this.

The usual approach when you haven't built any scripts around
TortoiseSVN or did not enable `svnserve.exe` is as follows:
1. Install TortoiseSVN on the new computer.
2. Check out a working copy.

I included the section above to make sure that when migrating
TortoiseSVN (a client program), it won't be a surprise for you that it
potentially had some services or scripts built around it which you
also need to migrate. You need to double-check if a previous admin
built a custom solution around TortoiseSVN or not. If not, then
migrating TortoiseSVN (or any other Subversion client) is trivial.

Hope this helps.

[1]: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html
[2]: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.initial.html
[3]: