Den sön 20 aug. 2023 kl 17:14 skrev Fischer, Michael <
michael.fisc...@yale.edu>:

> I have many repositories configured for sasl authentication.  The svn
> client for Mac osx, built using MacPorts, recently stopped working.  I
> first reported the problem to the MacPorts bug list but have been advised
> to report it to the subversion developers.  (See below.)
>
> Here's the error I get when trying to update a working directory.
>
> > svn update
> Updating '.':
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL '
> svn://ohia.cs.yale.edu/cs414-2022f'
> svn: E170001: SASL authentication error: SASL(-1): generic failure:
> internal error: failed to init cipher 'rc4'
>
> What is the version of Subversion on the above server? What version of
Sasl and OpenSSL?

> The problem seems to be that Sasl3.1 is not upwards compatible with
> sasl2.

Are you confusing Sasl with OpenSSL here? I believe Sasl is only on version
2.1 while OpenSSL recently released versions 3.0 and 3.1 (there never was
an OpenSSL 2.x).

This causes the Macports build of svn to fail when attempting to log into a
> server configured to use_sasl.  A workaround is to rebuild the openssl3
> port with the command
>
> sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants openssl3 +legacy
>
> I'm guessing, based on the "+legacy" argument, that the server you try to
connect to is using RC4 and since this is deprecated in OpenSSL 3 (see
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man3.0/man7/OSSL_PROVIDER-legacy.html) you are
unable to connect.

If this assumption is correct, then this is neither a bug in Subversion,
nor in Sasl or OpenSSL. Rather it is a case of mismatching configuration
and software versions between the server and the client. Updating the
server to support newer chiphers should probably resolve the situation.

> I reported this as MacPorts bug #67931
> <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/67931>.  A comment by ryandesign said,
>
>  A port "can't" depend on a variant of another port (see #126). It can use
>  the active_variants 1.1 portgroup, but that requires manual intervention
>  from the user, and prevents the buildbot from automatically creating
>  binary archives of the port.
>
>  Have you reported this problem to the developers of Subversion? If not,
>  please do, and put the URL of the report here.
>
> I am attempting to do so here.  Apparently the email is required before I
> can make a bug report.
>
> Please let me know how to proceed with the bug report.

You've done absolutely correct in sending an e-mail here. I assume you have
already seen the guidance on the website (
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/issues.html) on why we
don't want anything added to the issue tracker before it has been accepted
as a bug on the mailing list.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg