Generally speaking, you do not need to worry about this when using a
supported distro like Ubuntu. While they do not update to new versions
of a package like Subversion, they do their own backporting of
security and other important fixes to the version in their distro. So
the 1.13 that is in Ubuntu is not exactly equivalent to Subversion
1.13. It is really 1.13 + all fixes that Ubuntu thinks they should
backport.  You can see the changelog here and these fixes have all
been backported:

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/s/subversion/subversion_1.13.0-3ubuntu0.2/changelog

This is true across ALL the packages that the distro provides.

It is not that I do not think upgrading to 1.14 has some value, it is
that in general I do not recommend fighting against your distro. Use
the packages they provide and support. The distro is your real source
of support, not all the OSS projects that are packaged into it.

Mark