Hi!

Thanks for your reply. Just hearing that my setup looks OK made me look deeper, with Wireshark. Found that svn was using IPV6 but firefox used IPV4. Apparently the proxy can't handle IPV6 so I am now using a hostname wihout any IPV6 address in /etc/hosts and everything works fine.

Thanks again,
Gunnar

On 2023-12-03 22:02, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
Den sön 26 nov. 2023 kl 18:31 skrev Gunnar Grim <gunn...@grim.se>:

    Hi!

    I have subversion running in a Docker container and everything
    works fine if I connect directly to it, but I really need to run
    subversion behind an Apache 2.4 proxy. For now I'm not using
    https, just trying to get it to work with as simple setup as possible.

    I have tried to use the FAQ instructions,
    https://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#reverseproxy, but they are
    written for an older Apache version so I have tried to modify them
    for 2.4.

    Browsing the repos with Firefox works fine but it fails with the
    svn client and SmartSVN:

    svn info http://localhost/svn/test/svn-test-project
    svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
    'http://localhost/svn/test/svn-test-project'
    svn: E000111: Error running context: Connection refused

It sounds really strange that browsing with Firefox would work but not the svn command line client. The error is exactly the one to be expected if there is no server running at all (or possibly if there is a firewall or security policy disabling network access for the svn program).

If you try to access http://localhost/svn/test/svn-test-project with curl or wget? The same question for http://localhost:7280/svn/

I assume svn info http://localhost:7280/svn/test/svn-test-project works as expected?

    This is my proxy configuration:
       ProxyRequests Off
       ProxyVia on

       <Proxy *>
           Require all granted
       </Proxy>

       ProxyPass /svn/ http://localhost:7280/svn/
       <Location /svn/>
         ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:7280/svn/
         <Limit OPTIONS PROPFIND GET REPORT MKACTIVITY PROPPATCH PUT
    CHECKOUT MKCOL MOVE COPY DELETE LOCK UNLOCK MERGE>
             Require all granted
         </Limit>
         RewriteCond %{HTTP:Destination <HTTP:Destination>} .+/(svn/.*$)
         RewriteRule ^/svn/.* -
    [E=MyDestination:http://localhost:7280/%1,PT]
         RequestHeader set Destination %{MyDestination}e
    env=MyDestination
    </Location>

    When I use the browser all accesses are logged but with the svn
    client nothing is logged to the access- or error logs, even with
    log level debug.

    Hope someone can see what is wrong with my configuration.

On a cursory look all seems fine, but I didn't try to replicate your setup yet.

    TIA,
    Gunnar

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg