On 2024/05/22 08:23:54 Philippe Andersson wrote:
> On 22/05/2024 10:06, Bo Berglund wrote:
> > ... I hope this is not totally OT ...
> >
> > I am running an SVN server on an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS system and I have the
> > Apache
> > connection so I can access it via its web interface.
> >
> > This works but is *very limited* in functionality, so I am looking for some
> > kind
> > of GUI interface that can be added to my Ubuntu SVN installation and gives
> > me
> > functionality to view file revisions, logs etc and also diff revisions
> > using the
> > web view.
> >
> > Many years ago (like 20+ years) when I worked at a company using CVS there
> > was a
> > web interface which had very useful functions in this regard. It was all
> > running
> > on Windows Server.
> >
> > It was named ViewCVS (Python based) and was accessed using a web browser
> > towards
> > the CVS server.
> >
> > I have tried to search for something similar for SVN and found WebSVN on
> > Github:
> > https://github.com/websvnphp/websvn
> >
> > and:
> >
> > https://websvnphp.github.io/
> >
> > However, I have yet to find any examples on how its displays look or work
> > and it
> > also seems to be a rather old project...
> WebSVN is still actively maintained (version 2.8.4 was released 2 months
> ago) and offers the features you're looking for (view files, logs and
> diffs) and more.
>
> I'm not aware of any screenshots, but installing it for evaluation
> purposes is reasonably straightforward.

More or less solve maintainer of WebSVN here. I try to keep it alive with fixes
and small improvements for the entire community. Thought, I cannot compare it
to ViewVC, never used.

> For small to medium-scale projects, I find it a really helpful addition
> to the Subversion server. For large-scale projects with more than a
> thousand branches or tags, performance will become an issue.

Yes, that is a long standing problem [1] I'd like to solve, but cannot ATM due
to lack of time and knowledge in that area.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/websvnphp/websvn/issues/78