It is in fact OK to have non-ASL compatible licensed dependencies as long as they aren't part of the core and as long as we don't ship them with the distribution. At least that's what I read. We will discuss this of course. One possibilty would be to use Apache PDFBox for rendering, that one will have no licensing issues.

Uli