On 2/11/2012 4:59 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:34:43 -0200, Paul Stanton <p...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:

On 1/11/2012 9:37 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 01:10:16 -0200, Paul Stanton <p...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:

I've had to do some pretty in-depth debugging and patching of tapestry's javascript in the past (particularly around zones) and at least I can understand the source code because it is a familiar language... Replacing the source-code with an entirely new language, which is probably familiar for < 2% of tapestry sounds like a bit of a speedbump to me.. especially if - in order to create a monkey-patch of sorts, it will need to be written and integrated via Coffee?

I don't think so. Just look at the generated JavaScript files. CoffeeScript is *not* understood by browsers, so it's compiled into JavaScript before being served.

But then to 'monkey patch' something (i wish i never had to of course) i'll most likely have to figure out how to alter the source code of the compiled javascript, ie coffeescript.

No, you will still monkey-patch JavaScript, because CoffeeScript is not interpreted by browsers. You can't monkey-patch something in a language which is compiled (CoffeeScript). CoffeeScript is compiled into JavaScript. CoffeeScript isn't interpreted directly: it is first compiled into JavaScript and run. From the browser point of view, it'll never see CoffeeScript.

ok, our usage of the term 'monkey-patch' is where the misunderstanding is. I mean, patch. not monkey-patch, in your definition.