I don't know what you mean by having tried many library combinations. But
Tapestry related libs should all be the same version and without duplicates
in your runtime.

The error you are getting happens because the BeanModel for your grid
already contains a property called "delete".

So if you actually tried using <t:grid include="degreeProperty1,
degreeProperty2" add="delete"> and got the error, something is really off...

You can try to attach a debugger to either Grid, BeanModelUtils or
BeanModelImpl to see what your generated model contains... or create / bind
a bean model explicitly and debug using that.

--
Chris