I would recommend placing Apache in front of Tomcat. You can also use
mod_security on Apache to further lock down your application. I have found
that if you want security, do not use Tomcat by itself. I never liked the
idea of placing keystore passwords in XML files. At least Apache prompts you
for a password when it starts up. As far as authenticating users based on
their key(s), you would have to enforce mutually authenticated SSL, get the
certificate and validate it against a CA inside of Tomcat. This all is
fairly easy to do.