> From: Klotz Jr, Dennis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: can JNDIRealm connectionPassword be encrypted?
>
> Right now we have the tomcat instance running as a tomcat:tomcat user
> and group.

And, I hope, you have permissions for everything in Tomcat's directories
set to 750, and very, very limited membership in the group.

> in case someone found an exploit within tomcat itself and
> gained shell access with tomcat privileges.

Double failure.  Not only would there have to be a serious security flaw
within Tomcat itself (and I'm not aware of any at the moment), but this
flaw would also have to permit execution of arbitrary code - which is
pretty tricky in Java, if you've set up the JVM security policy
appropriately.

> Again perhaps that is a being a bit paranoid. But that is
> what security is all about. :)

Not really, although a lot of consultants push that approach so they can
take your money and tell you things you already know.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.