Hi All,

I have been using Tomcat on Windows for some time but I'm now
trying to get a server running the way I want it to on Fedora Core 4.
My problem is that I can't get Tomcat to unpack WAR files.

I have installed Tomcat 5.0.30 and have it running OK.  As it will be
hosting a number of sites, each with its own URL, I'm using virtual
hosts and I have a directory outside the tomcat tree that contains the
various web applications, one in each subdirectory.  Each WAR file
has its own context defined in a META-INF/context.xml file.

Tomcat runs serves up the web application OK.  However, despite
having "Unpack Wars" set to "true" in the admin application, the
application is not unpacked.  The same WAR file running under TC on
a windows box unpacks as advertised.

I believe I have the permissions set right in the folder containing the
WAR file (initially ug+wrx where the owner of the directory and war file
is the tomcat4 user - I even tried setting the war file and its parent
directory to 777).

Is there anything else I need to do to get Tomcat to unpack the WAR
file?

TIA,

Rob Hills
West Perth