"Harry Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> What I want:
>
> 1)       To have apache responsible for running all my static (html) pages
> from my /www directory.
>
> 2)       To have tomcat responsible for running all my web applications
> (jsp's and Servlets) from my ./tomcat/webapps directory.
>
> 3)       To be able to deploy from my local client using ant and the
> manager
> that is part of tomcat, all without rebooting.
>

> I have read the tomcat docs on mod_jk connector configuration and worker
> properties, as well as various articals I have found with google, but I
> still don't completely get it. Actually I don't get it at all.

I'm assuming that you want this for Tomcat 5.5.

You need something like:
   <Listener className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
           forwardAll="false"  noRoot="false" />

The simplest is to put this under the <Engine> tag, but it won't give you
your 3).  To get that, you need to put it under your <Context> tag (in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/<engine>/<host>/myapp.xml).  You probably also want to
specify an attribute like jkConfig="/path/to/tomcat/conf/auto/myapp_jk.conf"
to prevent stupid overwrites on context reloads.  Of course, you have to
include all of these in httpd.conf :).

> My questions are these:
>
> 1)       I am using the autoconfig file .../tomcat/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf.
> When is this file created? And where does it get its information for
> JkMount
> entries?

It's created at Tomcat startup if you are using the <Engine> placement.
It's created at Context startup if you are using the <Context> placement.

If forwardAll="false", it gets the information from your <servlet-mappings>,
as well as j_security_check if you are using FORM auth.

> 2)       When I deploy an application using ant and tomcat manager, is it
> possible to update this information (mod_jk.conf) without rebooting my
> servers.

Using `apachectl graceful` always works for me :).