you can put the two log jar files in your web app web-inf/lib directory and the
log4j properties in your web app classes directory. make sure your web app
log4j properties file specifies its own log file and log file location. Its
useful and may be good practice to place all log files in the tomcat log
directory, each web app with its own log file in that directory.

i do not yet understand the need for the other properties file. But it may be
needed. I have a configuration without it, with cross context logging and
specific web app logging.

hope this helps

pc leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have done something according to
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/tips/mills/Struts-logging.html
I do not put the 2 jars in tomcat common lib.
Instead I keep them in my webapp lib. The result is lots of error message in
tomcat log dir.
If I put a log4j.properties in web-inf/classes and still keep the 2 jars in
my webapp lib only,
is the log.debug() prints message in tomcat log dir?
thanks