Just guessing: They got legacy stuff and want to use it and doesnt have
the man power to upgrade it or development is discarded but their still
users who want to work with it - just a thought.

Afaik 4.1.31 is the latest 4.1.x Tomcat, so its not old.

Its like FreeBSD 4.X vs 6.X which was released a few days ago, many
users still want to use 4.X because they trust in it.

best regards

Torsten