Hi Nehal,

   I dont know how to work with multiple tomcat instances. The way I configured
my tomcat (single user) to use log4j is different then yours. I followed guide
from http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html . Basically it says,

1. Create a file called log4j.properties with the following content and save it
into common/classes. (The one with yours is fine).

2. Place the log4j jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib. (In our case, it is
log4j-1.2.12.jar. Make sure you place it in common/lib rather than in any
webapps.)

3. Place the commons-logging.jar (not commons-logging-api.jar) in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib with the log4j jar. (Again it is common/lib not
webapps)

4. Restart tomcat.

    I followed above steps and I could run my tomcat instance in debug mode. For
customized debugging, you can read API documentation of Tomcat and may be you
can
able to find something. This way you can customize your log4j.properties. I will
keep looking but I don't have that sort of environment here to play with. If I
find any thing, I will let you know.

    I hope above things help a bit.

Regards,