IIRC - this is fixed in 5.5. I'm not sure if it was fixed with 5.5.12 - but 5.5.13 was just tagged and should be available soon. BUT it hasn't been voted how stable it is yet. (beta, alpha, stable)

-Tim

Peter L wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to precompile JSP's for a JBoss(4.0.1) / Tomcat(5.0) server
and everything is cool except I get a ClassNotFoundException when a
Recursive Tagfile is encountered....

[jasper2] SEVERE: ERROR-the file
'\WEB-INF\pages\templates\resolveResultsDialog.jsp' generated the
following general exception:
[jasper2] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlCoreTLV
[jasper2]     at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:199)
[jasper2]     at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
[jasper2]     at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
[jasper2]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
[jasper2]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
[jasper2]     at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.createValidator(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:645)
[jasper2]     at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.parseTLD(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:246)
[jasper2]     at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:162)
   <omitted for brevity>

If I comment out the actual line of recursion inside the tag file I
can generate, compile, deploy and use all the servlets just fine
(except for the missing functionality).

I understand we use a jstl.jar and a standard.jar that are a little
suspect.  But given that there are no other similar jars available
during the process then it should be fine (That and I upgraded them to
1.1.2 temporarily and got the same result).

Questions:
- Why does dynamic compilation work?  What is Tomcat doing differently?
- Is there a Jasper configuration inside Tomcat I can inspect? (I
couldn't find it in server.xml)

Bonus Questions:
- Is there an easy way to precompile jsp's (for error checking and
initial speed) and retain runtime customizability?
- Will this rash ever go away? </kidding>

Thank you in advance for your consideration / help,
Pete